Mortgages for Rental Properties:
Buying an investment property can be a great opportunity.
Because investment property mortgages are subject to specific governmental requirements, mortgages are constantly changing.
It's a good idea to consult with an experienced mortgage specialist who will help you make an informed decision about your investment property mortgage options.
When buying an investment property, the first questions to answer are: How many units are there in the building? And will you be occupying one of the units?
Most buildings with 1-4 units are zoned residential, and buildings with 5 or more units are zoned commercial, so a lender would require that you take out a commercial mortgage on it.
If you will be occupying one of the units, the property would be considered owner-occupied. If all of the units will be rented out, your property would be considered non-owner occupied. The major difference between the two is how much of a down payment you need to make:
- The building has 1-2 units, and ONE of them is owner-occupied, min down payment required is 5%.
- The building has 1-2 units, and NONE of them is owner-occupied, min down payment required is 20%.
- The building has 3-4 units, and ONE of them is owner-occupied, min down payment required is 10%.
- The building has 3-4 units, and NONE of them is owner-occupied, min down payment required is 20%.
Book a Call below so we can discuss the rest of the details such as:
- If you would need to pay mortgage default insurance
- Qualification criteria and what documents the lender will require
- The 3 Debt servicing ratios you should be aware : Rental Offset, Rental Inclusion, and Debt Service Coverage Ratio
Get Pre-Approved with Snezhana Todorova Mortgage Team!
Hello and welcome to Snezhana Todorova Mortgage Team. We are here to help you get the best mortgage rates and find the right mortgage deal for you. Please provide your contact information and briefly describe your financial situation and needs, and our team will be in touch soon. Thank you for your interest in our services.